SENSORY INTEGRATIVE DISORDER: EARLY WARNING SIGNS
All of us have experienced "sensory overload" at some point, whether it's during a loud rock concert or at a time of significant stress when wearing an itchy sweater feels unbearable. When these types of sensations interfere with everyday living, however, they become atypical and should be addressed therapeutically. The following are a few of the more common symptoms and signs of sensory integration dysfunction:
- Overly sensitive to touch, movement, sights or sounds; this may be manifested in behaviors such as withdrawal when touched, avoidance of certain textures on clothes or of food, or a fearful reaction to ordinary movement activities, such as playground equipment
- Under-sensitivity to stimulation; this child may seek out intense sensory experiences, such as whirling or crashing into objects; he may also seem oblivious to pain
- Activity level that is unusually high or low
- Coordination problems
- Poor organization of behavior; this child may be impulsive or distracted and show a lack of planning in approaching tasks
- Poor self concept; sometimes a child who experiences any of these problems just doesn't feel quite right and may figure out ways to avoid situations that are difficult for them, leading to others thinking the child is stubborn or troublesome
All of these symptoms can be remediated through Occupational Therapy. If you recognize your child in this description, talk to us about how we can help.
Kaliana's Natural Formulas
At KidsAbilities, we are proud to use Kaliana's products to help induce optimum behavior and mood for each child to get the most benefit from his/her OT session. Local pediatrician Wendy Talley, M.D. has stated, "I have been amazed how often Kaliana's products have helped a child and their family deal with behavior problems, fears or other stressors." In an OT Exceptional Child Pilot Study (2008), it was found that 71% of parents said their child was happier, calmer, slept better and had less temperamental outbursts using Kaliana's Mist, Essence and Serum for a 30-day period. To find out more about Kaliana's Natural Formulas, please visit www.kaliana.com or ask your therapist for more information.